DIY Home Security TipsLeave a Comment
By now I am sure you are aware of the many ways Modern Systems is able to help protect you, your family, home or business. Now what can you do to add even more protection? Let’s start with some DIY home security tips to get you going.
Securing Doors And Windows
- • It is important to have strong and solid doors for exterior entrances. Solid, heavy wood or metal doors are some of the strongest.
- • Dead bolt locks offer added protection against a door being kicked in. Installing a door jamb brace will also aid in protection.
- • Make sure you have non-removable hinges secured with screws around 3 inches long.
- • Keep all doors and windows in your home locked when you are away.
- • Treat all windows and sliding glass doors with glass protection film. This will help against them being broken for entry.
- • Install anti-lift mechanisms to the interiors of windows that slide up and down, and insert a metal or wooden rod into the tracks of patio doors and windows that slide sideways.
Landscaping For Home Security
- • Keep bushes and hedges cut down around doors and windows. You do not want to give a potential burglar a place to hide.
- • Consider planting bushes that are sharp or prickly around windows to keep someone from wanting to hide in them.
- • Remember that every thing you plant could potentially become a hiding place for a burglar. Plan your landscaping accordingly.
Lighting and Timers
- • Having lights and a television on all of the time, day and night, can be a sign to any one watching that you are away. Instead, consider installing timers on your lights and tv or having a home automation system for control from anywhere in the world. Call a sales representative for more information on lighting and electronics control. 1-800-252-7664
- • Add LED security motion lighting to the perimeter around your home.
Make a plan to burglarize yourself. This way you can find all of the ways someone can enter your home. Look for hiding spots, areas where valuables are visible, and easy entrances to your home. There is no better way to completely protect your home than to understand what needs added security and protection.
Installing a home security system will add another layer of protection to your home. Call a sales representative today for a free, no obligation consultation and quote. Modern Systems has been giving home owners in Lexington, KY, Bowling Green, KY , Somerset, KY and surrounding areas peace of mind since 1979. We are one of the largest home security companies in Kentucky and surrounding states.
How To Avoid False Alarms
Safety Tips For Women Living Alone
15 Tips For Home Fire Safety
Home Security Systems: Should I Have One?
How To Protect Your Home and Family From Home Invasions
Total Connect: Keeps You Connected and In Control
HVAC Protection: The WHIP