Premier Kentucky Security Company, Providing Peace of Mind Since 1979
Call Now: (800) 252-7664


Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, tasteless and initially non irritating toxic gas produced by incomplete combustion in fuel burning devices. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) reports that CO exposures and poisonings occur more often during the fall and winter, when people are more likely to use gas furnaces, heaters and generators in their homes. CDC statistics show more than 15,000 emergency room visits and nearly 500 deaths from unintentional, no-fire related CO poisoning each year.


Persons with CO poisoning often overlook the symptoms (e.g., headache, nausea, dizziness, or confusion), and undetected exposure can be fatal. CO poisoning is often mistooken for a viral illness such as the flu because the symptoms are very similar.


Sources of CO poisoning are: fires, vehicles left running in doors, faulty furnaces, generators, portable heaters, unventilated power equiptment, dryers, water heaters and other house hold appliances.


You are probably asking yourself right now what you can do to protect you and your family form this silent killer. Here are a few tips to keep you safe.

  • •Have your heating system, water heater, and any other gas-, oil-, or coal-burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.
  • •Install a battery-operated CO detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall.
  • •If your CO detector sounds, evacuate your home immediately and telephone 911.
  • •Seek prompt medical attention if you suspect CO poisoning and are feeling dizzy, light-headed, or nauseated.
  • •Do not use a generator, charcoal grill, camp stove, or other gasoline- or charcoal-burning device inside your home, basement, or garage or near a window.
  • •Do not run a car or truck inside a garage attached to your house, even if you leave the door open.
  • •Do not burn anything in a stove or fireplace that is not vented.
  • •Do not heat your house with a gas oven.

Did you know Modern Systems can not only provide you with a security system, but we can also install a CO detector. Coupled with Total Connect, you can receive alerts and text messages if an abnormal amount of CO is detected. We service Lexington, KY, Somerset, KY, Bowling Green, KY and all surrounding areas. Why wait? Call us today for a free no obligation consultation and quote from one of our highly trained Security Representatives.



Related Blogs

Portable Heater Safety

15 Tips For Home Fire Safety

Tips For Fire Escape Planning

Smoke Alarms: Information and Tips

Stay Connected
Get updates by email
Search the Site
Popular Posts

When you own a business with a fleet of vehicles, you may often feel like you have no control after your employees leave in their company appointed vehicle to begin working for the day. How do you keep up with your employees who are on the road when you can’t be there in the passenger […]


Teen driving safety is a serious matter. According to the CDC, motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death for U.S. teens. In fact, per mile driven, teen drivers ages 16 to 19 are nearly three times more likely than drivers aged 20 and older to be in a fatal crash. With statistics like […]


It’s that time of year! Contractors are busy with new clients building their dream homes. Are you currently in the process of building your own home? If you are, now is the time to think about the technology you want in your home. Not only is getting technology set up in your home during the […]

Search by Category
Premier Kentucky Security Company,
Providing Peace of Mind Since 1979
Call for a FREE evaluation! (800) 252-7664
Sign Up for the Newsletter

All Rights Reserved. Copyright 2015